Wednesday

Asking out Your Cashier

When I was younger, I heard a story about a young saint called Rose of Lima. This girl was beautiful. Drop dead gorgeous, if you'll excuse the cliche, and she had plenty of men wanting to court (and do other things to) her. One day, she became so fed up with this she used a mixture of lye and pepper on her face so that these "gentlemen" would leave her alone. I thought this action a bit rash...

...until I started to work at my current store.

From day one I have been mercilessly hit on by every male that walks in our doors. I have been ogled, gawked at, stared at, watched and sexually harassed so often, I am about to try that trick myself. So that being said, let us continue.

In relation to your cashier, it is okay to:
-Tell her that she is pretty.
-Tell her that she is beautiful.
-Tell her that her smile is nice, that her teeth are straight, and her eyes shine.
-Leave you number casually, letting her know that she does not have to call, and then mean it.

In a perfect world, it would be okay to:
-Politely ask if you could have her number.
I say "in a perfect world" because although this expresses interest in a somewhat non-invasive manner, this happens a lot more than you would think. If this particular female you're after gave out her number to everyone who asked (or even just those she found attractive), she would have to change her number probably as many times. Guys nowadays don't know how to accept a rejection and therefore will continue to call, determined to score. So when we tell nearly anyone, "no thanks," they whine like a child. Holding up our lines, annoying us, and making us wish we didn't have to put up with any of this. Some guys will even get angry and curse at us. Having to deal with this day after day, we dread this request.

It is NOT okay to:
-Buy condoms and suggest that they were purchased specifically for the girl.
-Tell the girl to "stand still" so that you can "just look at" her.
-Ogle her breasts or backside while she's staring right back at you (yeah, it had to be mentioned
somewhere)
-Try to hug her so that your genitals come anywhere near her.
-Demand her number.
-Demand a date from her.
-Demand, well, just about anything from her.
-Repeatedly ask her out/to go on a "baloney pony ride."
-Sit in the parking lot for an hour when you know she is getting off soon.
-Call her sexy, hot, smoking, or any other synonym
-Call her honey, sugar, or baby unless you are old or have an almost debilitating southern accent.
-Insist that, because she politely and gently turned you down, that she is "shitting all over" you.
-When you see that she is married (or engaged), tell her, "you don't really love him, you just
need a good dickin.'"

This list is never-ending and I think I will add to it as more and more things happen to me. Yes, all of the above has happened to me personally. Along with a lot more. *shudders*

Let's get something clear: I am married to a man. I am not some femi-nazi (if you noticed, I said it is wrong to ogle while being watched--I have done my fair share of ogling, I just made sure I was not making them feel uncomfortable). Men are only disgusting to me in this light--otherwise they are just fine.

That out of the way......

Green lights for asking the lady in question for an outing:
-She winks at you.
-She asks you out.
-She gives you her number.
-She smiles, bites her lip, and makes eye contact for several seconds (all at the same time!!).
-She leaps over the counter, into your arms saying, "take me away you sexy beast!" ...or the
equivalent...

Please remember that this woman has probably dealt with a lot of creeps and therefore has a rather high guard set up. Be kind, be gentle, be patient and most of all--let her ask you. If she's old-fashioned, then she won't be for long. Trust me.



No comments: