Wednesday

Second Day of Work (part two)

Now that you have settled in a little more to your job, there are just a few more things I have to say about your general day-to-day procession. These things, if applied, will make everything easier for both you and (believe if or not) your employer.

The Biggest piece of advice I can ever give you...I'll tell you in a minute.

But first, there a couple of things most people don't really think about, but will help out tremendously. One, is to become interested.

Become interested in your coworkers, your bosses, your customers, and your company. You don't have to love them. You don't have to know every little detail, either. Just ask questions, make them feel like they are more than just another dollar (or step up) to you. Customers have an odd habit of divulging more information that it takes to complete a transaction, so take advantage. Like if someone buys a bag of ice from me. If he adds, "I need this for drinks," I ask, "Oh yeah? What are you doing?" I look interested and sincere--but for the most part, I couldn't give a flip about them. The customer might tell me that he has relatives coming into town for a reunion and none of them drink beer. This bit of information? Useless. But they feel better.
But why? Why should we make it seem like we care about some stupid middle-age guy with no life and big, non-alcoholic family? Because, my friend, he won't care as much if you mess up.
People are more prone to forgiving those they like. Think about it: if your friend from kindergarten rings up more than one of something, do you feel threatened? Do you automatically write them off as some stupid store clerk who is trying to cheat you out of your money? No. You let them know they messed up, pay them, and move on.
Also, your boss will forgive you faster for neglecting to do something in the store before you left that day. That is, if they think that you were too busy caring for them and their customers in the first place to notice.
Finally, you will understand more the why's and how's of store policy if you really pay attention to every aspect of business. Even if you are just a lowly little clerk, learn the paperwork, watch the sales records; pretend like you are working for the competition when it comes to paying attention to the mechanics of the store. In the long run, this will make it easier for you to learn how to take your boss's job (and the higher-ups tend to notice this sort of thing as well).

And the biggest piece of advice I can give you...will come in a minute.

The other half of becoming interested is becoming interesting. If you continue to show you care about your customers, then many of them will start to care about you. Before this happens, be prepared. As you may have noticed, speaking to someone as boring as a gray wall is not fun and will quickly make us wish we hadn't tried. The same goes for cashiers. Identify with people and don't be afraid to share a little about yourself.
The why of this one is a little more simple: for fun. Who do I normally share with? Friends. How do I normally make friends? Sharing with strangers. When I go to work, I am accompanied by my co-workers, yes, but also by my customers. Most people don't have time to stand in a store and chat (some do; that's not the point). So while your co-workers have the opportunity to pry and wheedle something fun out of me, my customers do not. If you volunteer harmless information ("why, yes, I was born of two parents!"), then you can make fast friends, and "fast food friends."
"Fast food friends" are the patrons who come into the store that I know enough about and our personalities are compatible enough that I feel like I've had a friendly visit rather than just had to check someone out. These encounters usually last as long as it takes to get fast food, hence the name.

And finally, the moment you have all been waiting for! It is time for me to tell you that the biggest, most valuable advice that money can buy................is going to have to wait until Friday. I know, I'm evil.

No comments: